The first official day of summer may not be until June 20 – but our state is starting to reopen and Hoosiers are ready to enjoy the outdoors.
With temperatures rising, the sun staying out longer, and the state safely progressing through Eric’s Back on Track Plan, it’s the perfect time to get out and enjoy this beautiful Indiana weather. And while some activities may look different this year, there are still lots of great opportunities to get outside.
Our team pulled together a list of our favorite summer activities, and we hope they inspire you to get outside and enjoy our beautiful state.
- Grilling out or lighting a bonfire – Food never tastes better than when cooked over an open flame!
- Catching fireflies – Did you know that in 2018, Governor Holcomb signed into law making the Say’s Firefly the Indiana state insect? So that means it’s time to get outside and light up your evening!
- Gardening – Do you have a green thumb? Consider growing a peony, the Indiana state flower!
- Home repairs – With this great weather, why not build some equity into your home with a little light construction?
- Exercise! – Feeling stressed or overwhelmed? Exercise! Head outside and find your nearest trail for running, walking or biking!
- Go camping – Indiana campgrounds are now open! Take a home away from home trip and head to your favorite Indiana campground!
- Go for a round of golf – Indiana is fortunate to have been home to one of the most legendary golf course designers in the world, Pete Dye. He designed seven golf courses in Indiana, which comprise the Pete Dye Golf Trail. Check it out!
- Water fun – While some local public pools are closed this year, you can still cool off by turning the sprinklers on, or making a slip-n-slide at home. Or with Holiday World in Southern Indiana opening next week, right now their waterpark – Splashin’ Safari – is scheduled to open in July.
- Go on a road trip – You don’t have to go far to find a new, exciting place! As Indiana continues our phased reopening, find a place here in Indiana you’ve never visited and start planning your destination!
- Visit an Indiana State Park – Indiana State Park Inns are now open, and our state parks are ready to welcome you for a daytrip (or longer)! Have you tried the Three Dunes Challenge at Indiana Dunes?
- Check out a drive-in movie – There’s no better way to be outdoors, practice social distancing, and enjoy time with friends and family than at the drive-in!
There are lots of ways to get outside and enjoy this incredible weather and make the most out of summer. However, remember – let’s be safe, and continue to practice safe social distancing as we go out.
-Your Holcomb Crew