INDIANAPOLIS – Governor Eric Holcomb today joined more than 100 members of the Indiana Builders Association (IBA) as the organization voted to endorse the Governor’s 2020 reelection bid – the IBA’s first ever gubernatorial endorsement.
“It is critical that the home building industry support candidates for public office that understand the important role housing plays in Indiana’s overall economy,” said Brett Harter, president of the IBA. “Governor Holcomb’s success in bringing jobs to our state and making Indiana a desired place to work and live during his tenure has earned the support and respect of our leadership across the state. It is our honor to endorse his reelection as Indiana’s governor.”
The announcement was made as part of the IBA’s annual board meeting. Established in 1952, the IBA is a statewide trade organization representing builders, remodelers, developers and subcontractors. With 23 affiliates across the state, the organization advocates for housing affordability and a positive economic climate – issues closely aligning with the results Governor Holcomb has delivered for Hoosiers over the last three years.
To make a gubernatorial primary ballot in Indiana, candidates are required to collect 500 signatures from registered voters in each of Indiana’s nine congressional districts. Governor Holcomb’s campaign collected more than 9,000 signatures by October 2019 – double the requirement – which is the fastest signature collection in recent memory. The campaign then filed the signatures with Clerks of Circuit Courts at courthouses and government offices in every Indiana county on January 8 and 9, the first two days of local signature filing.
- Attracting record job commitments for Hoosiers year after year – including 27,137 new job commitments in 2019 with an average wage of $28.60/hour.
- Building a business climate that’s ranked top 10 nationally and best in the Midwest.
- Helping more than 10,000 Hoosiers get skilled-up to fill high-wage, in-demand jobs by completing a certificate program tuition-free through Next Level Jobs.
- Attracting 31,800 new Hoosiers to Indiana in 2018 – the largest increase to Indiana’s population since 2009.
- Leading the passage and implementation of Indiana’s fully-funded, long-term infrastructure plan, which will fund Indiana’s road construction over the next quarter-century without taking on new debt.
- Partnering with communities on local road projects through $612 million in Community Crossings grants.
- Investing $100 million into expanding broadband infrastructure for unserved communities, which is Indiana’s largest ever single state investment in broadband.
Governor Holcomb is committed to keeping the momentum rolling so that all Hoosiers can participate in Indiana’s growing economy.
“It’s an honor to accept the Indiana Builders Association’s first-ever gubernatorial endorsement, ” said Governor Holcomb. “Together, we’re working to ensure every Hoosier has the opportunity to own a home, build a business or achieve their American Dream right here in Indiana. I look forward to our continued partnership as we work to continue Putting People First for another four years.”
The IBA is the third group to endorse Governor Holcomb this election cycle. So far, he has already earned the endorsement of the Indiana State Police Alliance and its more than 2,000 members, as well as the endorsement of the state’s largest, broad-based business advocacy group, the Indiana Chamber of Commerce.