INDIANAPOLIS – Governor Eric Holcomb today joined Kevin Brinegar, president and chief executive officer of the Indiana Chamber of Commerce, as the organization announced it is endorsing the Governor’s 2020 re-election bid.
“Indiana has become one of the nation’s most competitive business climates and most effective state governments,” said Brinegar. “That didn’t happen by accident and it won’t remain without hard work. Governor Eric Holcomb’s active leadership and positive, get-things-done attitude generates results and is needed to keep Indiana moving forward.
“Whether it’s been championing the nation’s only 20-year, fully-funded road infrastructure plan, an array of workforce development initiatives or a bias crimes law – or giving compassionate and substantial emphasis to the opioid crisis, the Governor is focused on issues that matter to the lives and prosperity of our citizens, businesses and communities.”
The Indiana Chamber is the state’s largest, broad-based business advocacy group, representing job creators and businesses of all sizes throughout the state. Today’s endorsement marks just the second time the Indiana Chamber has ever endorsed a gubernatorial candidate, following the organization’s 2008 endorsement of former Governor Mitch Daniels.
Over the last three years, Governor Holcomb has actively worked to build the best possible environment for Hoosiers of all backgrounds and in all parts of the state to thrive – including helping Hoosiers grow their businesses and build the skills to land great-paying, high-demand jobs.
• Launching Next Level Jobs, which has more than 20,800 Hoosiers enrolled in free courses and more than 7,200 Hoosiers have earned a high-demand credential while working on the job in an in-demand field.
• Expanding opportunities for students to build job-ready skills while in high school through programs like JAG, dual credit classes, internships, earn and learn programs and apprenticeships.
• Leading the passage and implementation of Indiana’s fully-funded, long-term infrastructure plan, which will fund Indiana’s road construction over the next quarter-century without taking on new debt.
• Investing $100 million into expanding broadband infrastructure for unserved communities, which is Indiana’s largest ever single state investment in broadband.
• Partnering with communities on local road projects through $612 million in Community Crossings grants
• Expanding Pre-K access to low-income children, with more than 3,500 students in 75 counties served by the expansion.
• Signed into law an expansion of computer science courses to all K-12 students.
• Helped more Hoosiers suffering from drug addiction gain access to treatment, with overdose deaths down 12.9% across Indiana.
• Championed and signed Indiana’s balanced budget amendment, providing future generations of Hoosiers the reassurance that their leaders will be fiscally responsible and live within their means.
• Championed and signed into law Indiana’s first bias crime statute, allowing judges to enhance sentences on criminals who commit crimes because of an aggravating bias that targets a group.
The announcement was made at the corporate office of Indiana Oxygen, a fourth-generation, family-owned Indiana company that manufactures and distributes industrial, laboratory and medical gases as well as welding equipment and supplies.
In accepting the Indiana Chamber’s endorsement, Governor Holcomb committed keeping this progress rolling in all parts of Indiana for all Hoosiers.
“All Hoosiers deserve access to the gains of Indiana’s growing economy – for themselves, their families and their futures. It’s all about Putting People First,” said Governor Holcomb. “That’s why we’ve worked to expand training opportunities, while also making sure Indiana’s environment is primed for what’s next. And we’re just getting started. I’m honored to accept the Indiana Chamber’s endorsement, and I’m excited to work with Hoosier job creators to make sure we keep delivering for Hoosiers.”