Indiana is getting back on track, and businesses are reopening — including restaurants across the state!
The COVID-19 pandemic has hit our restaurant industry especially hard. Now that our restaurants are reopening, we’re all excited to get out and support them in a safe and healthy way.
For this week’s One Indiana, we thought we’d continue sharing some of Eric’s favorite places to eat across the state. Last week we pulled together a list his favorite ice cream shops, and now here’s a few of his favorite fried chicken places (no matter your preferred piece, these are all Indiana classics).
Remember – as you start to patronize your favorite restaurants and local businesses, be sure to check the Indiana State Department of Health website. Local leaders and the businesses in your community might have additional requirements, too, so be sure to check with them, and please follow all guidelines.
Check it out — but another warning like last week, you may get hungry!
- Brau Haus, Oldenburg – The Brau Haus is home to delicious chicken and a unique past. Check out their unique history and learn a thing or two about Oldenburg.
- MCL Restaurant and Bakery, Multiple Locations Statewide – Owned and operated since 1950 by The McGaughey Family, this is the home of the original American comfort food!
- Putnam Inn, Greencastle– Their slogan says it all — stop by and have a “meal you will never forget!”
- Gasthof, Montgomery – They call the Gasthof Amish Village an “oasis in the farmland” of Southern Indiana. Don’t forget to try something from their famous bakery.
- The Beef House, Covington – Family owned & operated since 1964, four generations of the Wright family continue to make the Beef House a special place today
- Kramer’s, Columbus – One of our crew’s favorite haunts, Kramer’s also makes amazing breakfast food! Stop by when you’re in Columbus.
- McKinley Orchards, Oaktown – They’ve been feeding Hoosiers in a beautiful location since 1976!
- Abe Martin Lodge restaurant, Nashville – A little gem of a restaurant at Brown County State Park, serving fresh home-style meals and Indiana favorites!
- The Chicken Place, Ireland – The Leinenbach family has been serving up their great-grandmother’s chicken recipe in Ireland since 1948 — make sure to check it out!
- Teibel’s Family Restaurant, Schererville – The Region favorite is now led by its fourth generation. Stop in for many of the same favorites you’d have found there when they first opened their doors more than 90 years ago (like their homemade fried chicken).
- Kountry Kitchen, Indianapolis – This family-owned restaurant is a piece of Indy history. It sadly suffered a fire in January, but the owners have plans to rebuild and bring this favorite back to life!
- The Blue Gate Restaurant & Bakery, Shipshewana – The Blue Gate’s got it all — great Amish and Mennonite cooking, entertainment, shopping, a hotel and more.
- Das Dutchman Essenhaus, Middlebury – The Essenhaus is a destination in Northern Indiana, and you definitely won’t leave hungry. After you’ve had your chicken, stop by the bakery.
- Hollyhock Hill, Indianapolis – There’s a reason why they’ve been ranked among the best fried chicken in America. They’ve been serving their homestyle favorites since 1928!
Thanks for reading our list! No matter whether you’re dining in or ordering take-out, let’s support our Hoosier small businesses.
-Your Holcomb Crew