Eric's Economic Development Plan
Strengthening and Diversifying Our Thriving Hoosier Jobs Climate
Retain, Retrain & Recruit the Best & Brightest
- Continue to accelerate annual wage increases.
- Through the $1 billion innovation and entrepreneurship plan, expand job growth by making smart investments in start-ups, high growth companies, co-working spaces and university partnerships, and supporting high school entrepreneurship programs to develop young entrepreneur competitions across Indiana.
- Transform workforce development from the unemployment agency to the employment agency by leveraging data and enhanced investments to create a demand-driven workforce training system that responds to the needs of Hoosier employers, with a focus on the state’s strategic industry sectors, including manufacturing, biosciences and information technology, to help every Hoosier secure a good paying job for themselves.
- Grow our Regional Cities Initiative to enhance local quality of life and place and foster regional approaches to economic development.
- Make the Venture Capital Investment Tax Credit (VCI) transferable to incentivize investment into Indiana businesses from investors outside of Indiana.
Lead the Nation with Infrastructure Investment & Innovation
- Continue our record-setting investments in state and local roads, fund a long-term solution to our infrastructure needs by letting data (not politics) drive our decisions, and empower our cities to invest more in local roads and sidewalks.
- Double track the South Shore Line to better connect Indiana’s northwest communities to the nation’s 3rd largest market.
- Complete I-69 from Evansville to Indianapolis, which will ultimately connect three countries together.
- Build Indiana’s 4th new bridge over the Ohio River in Evansville, an important connector between Indiana and Kentucky.
- Build Indiana’s 4th port on the Ohio River, cementing our state’s role as a logistics and transportation hub and driving investments and jobs to that region of the state.
- Support growth and expansion at our airports throughout the state to secure more direct flights and more efficient travel.
- Seek additional public-private partnership investment in high-speed Internet access, especially in rural areas to help expand economic opportunity to all Hoosiers.
- Create a revolving loan fund to support the expanded use of data-driven farming and precision agriculture.
Keep Energy Costs Down for All Hoosiers
- Develop an all-of-the-above Indiana approach to energy independence that supports our most abundant and reliable energy sources and ensures the security of our utilities.
- Stand strong against unreasonable Federal EPA rules, like the so-called Clean Power Plan, that continue to lead to higher prices for Hoosiers.
Maintain Our Fiscal Discipline
- Pass another honestly balanced budget and maintain our healthy rainy day fund to preserve our AAA credit rating.
- Protect Indiana’s fiscal solvency and continue the strategies that have made our state the most competitive, vibrant, and diverse economy in the Midwest.